Basing on the production policy laid down, the Registration Committee for growers and others will lay down the criteria for registration or renewal of registration of growers of virginia tobacco, nurserymen as per Rule 33 A (2) and 33-D(1) of the Tobacco Board Rules 1976. The committee also lays down criteria for grant of licences or renewal of licences for construction of barns and operation of barns as per Rule 34-M (1) and 34-O (1) of the Tobacco Board Rules 1976.
The Registration Committee decides on area to be registered per barn and quota to be authorized taking into consideration the number of licensed barns and productivity levels of tobacco basing on the area –wise targets fixed. Accordingly the registered growers are allocated a production quota in terms of fixed kilograms for his barn(s) and number of hectares of area to be cultivated for his/her licensed barn(s) and are monitored closely to comply with the same.
Criteria for registration/renewal of registration of Commercial nursery growers (Rule 33-C, D):
- Farmers intending to obtain registration/renewal of registration as a commercial nursery grower have to file an application in Form-3 and furnish information required there under and these applications shall be considered for grant of registration/renewal of registration subject to the following conditions.
- The field/plot where commercial nursery is proposed to be raised should be free from soil borne diseases, and should be away from known areas for such diseases.
- Applicant shall possess adequate water facility suitable for irrigating tobacco nursery and water meant for irrigation should not contain chlorides more than 40PPM.
- The Nursery Growers shall use “Authorised seed” produced and supplied by CTRI and or ITC–ILTD research division invariably.
- An amount of Rs.50/- per 0.10 ha. or part thereof may be collected towards registration fees..
- The nursery grower should not have been involved in activities which are in violation of Tobacco Board Act, Rules & Regulations, such as involving in illegal sales/purchases/unauthorised cultivation/construction of barns etc
- An individual commercial nursery grower may be granted registration to a maximum extent of 2.00 ha. for Andhra Pradesh and 1.00 ha. for Karnataka.
- In case of renewal of registration, the nursery grower shall submit returns in Form No.–7 & 8 of the previous season within stipulated time. In case the same are not submitted by the applicant last year, a penalty of Rs.500/- may be imposed on such commercial nursery growers. For delayed submission of returns a fine of Rs.250/- may be imposed.
- The applicants for renewal of registration as commercial nursery growers are also required to submit registers in Form No.–5 & 6 (Rule-33 E 1) to the Auction Superintendents on demand for verification and scrutiny before issue of seed and granting renewal of registration as commercial nursery growers.
- Commercial nursery growers shall display a notice board at the nursery plot indicating varieties grown, TBNR No. etc., and supply pure healthy, disease and nematode free and hardened seedlings to registered growers only and follow such directions and conditions as applicable to commercial nursery growers.